Acquiring the money needed for the construction of a housing project is no small ordeal. Home loan EMIs take quite a big part out of a person’s monthly income and this, of course, affects their finances. Choosing a solid payment plan is important when you set out to do this so that your budget is not affected badly.
There are many payment plans out there, but here we will be discussing one in specific: CLP or Construction Linked Payment.
In CLP, the bank gives out money in installments to the builder on the buyer’s behalf. Each instalment is set for when the predetermined construction stages are completed one by one. The distribution of the loan is structured in such a way that around 95% of the total price is paid to the developer by the time the last slab is laid. The buyer starts to repay the loan to the bank only once the builder completes the project and the handover is done. However, pre-EMIs are to be paid during the period of construction, right from the time of the first disbursal from the bank.
An example of a CLP is given below:
A housing project costs 50 Lakhs. 10% is paid by the bank to the developer at the time of booking and 20% within 45 days. Additionally, 10% is paid whenever a construction milestone (laying the plinth or foundation, first-floor slab, second-floor slab, etc.) is completed. 15% is paid when the final slab is laid. At this stage, 95% of the total cost of the building is paid, which is 45 Lakhs. The remaining 5% is demanded by the builder at the time of possession.
The advantages of CLP include the following
CLP benefits the developers too. The superstructure is the fastest and easiest part of the construction process. By the time the skeleton of the building is erected, the builder would possess nearly 95% of the total cost of the project. The developers, therefore, enjoy the regular, assured cash flow. They are also free from the liabilities of having such a huge amount of money with them because they do not receive it in their name, but in the name of the buyer. Such amounts are hard to acquire through other means in the market. They can use all the extra money to invest in other assets or launch other construction projects.
There are disadvantages to CLP too
Traditional Down Payment Plan
Traditional Down Payment Plans require you to pay 10-15% of the price of the property at the time of booking and 80-90% within a given period. The remaining amount usually consists of the extra charges incurred, such as registration fees, stamp duty etc. This plan can get you discounts as high as 8-9% on the property. The downside is that a huge sum is paid to the developer at a very early stage, putting the buyer at risk of delays, breaks or even abandonment.
Time Linked Payment Plan
In Time Linked Plan, the payment is done in installments as per a pre-set timetable by the developer, irrespective of the progress of construction. While there is no risk of losing a huge chunk of money altogether as possible in a traditional down payment, the buyer has to keep paying the builder even if there are delays.
Flexi Payment Plan
It is a mix of traditional down payment and time-linked payment plans. In the Flexi Payment Plan, 50% of the total amount is paid by the time the construction starts, and the remaining 50% is paid during the construction process.
Construction Linked Payment Plan is a work in progress. Various experts suggest that the plan should be modified in such a way that at least 40% of the total cost of the project remains to be paid after the completion of the superstructure. While CLP can be an excellent option for many buyers out there, it is not advised to blindly opt for it without considering the various options available.